ARE MATTRESS PROTECTORS REALLY NECESSARY?
A mattress protector is an essential purchase to protect the investment you’ve made in a quality mattress. Mattress protectors not only keep your mattress clean and dry but protects from sweat, stains and dead skin cells.
Mattress protectors act as a physical barrier between your bodily fluids, perspiration and moisture and your mattress, prolonging its life and preventing the development of mould and bacteria growth within your mattress.
Mattress protectors prevent exposure to dust mites and other potential allergens and help to create a healthy environment free of triggers.
Studies have found that as many as 1 million microscopic mites can happily make a home in your bed. Dust mites thrive in dirty environments so keeping your sleep environment hygienic and dry is essential for allergy sufferers.
What kind of mattress protector should you buy?
Before you begin shopping, ask yourself what purpose your mattress protector will serve.
Do you need…
- Light protection against daily wear and tear? Opt for a basic mattress protector in soft and breathable such as our Gainsborough Australian Cotton Mattress Protector.
- Do you or your children have incontinence issues ? Find a mattress protector that incorporates waterproof fabric. Our Gainsborough Waterproof Mattress Topper features backing fabric that is both waterproof and breathable.
- Seeking a bit of extra comfort? Consider a thicker mattress topper which can offer more cushion and support such our Gainsborough Ball Fibre Mattress Topper.
- Looking for some extra warmth ? If you need extra warmth for cold winter nights, try our Gainsborough Reversable Australian Wool Underlay. The reverse is made from breathable cool cotton so you can switch, on those hot summer nights.
- Specialised bedding comfort and support ? Our Gainsborough Gel infused Memory Foam Topper responds to your body’s temperature and helps promote correct postural alignment and relief from pressure points. Memory Foam Toppers can help make hard mattresses softer or make old mattresses more comfortable and supportive.
- Washing your mattress protector on a regular basis helps remove dead skin, hair, sweat, and grime that builds up over time. All Gainsborough mattress protectors and toppers are machine washable and can easily be thrown in the wash along with your sheets and pillow cases. Memory foam is not machine washable however our Memory Foam Topper comes with a removeable zip off cover that can be machine washed.
- To keep things simple, protectors, toppers & underlays all go over your mattress and under your fitted sheet.